Friday, October 6, 2017

And the Rooster Crows...

Hello friends and family,
Thanks for checking in on this blog! I want to share about my last few months, and what lies ahead for me as I continue working with Samaritan’s Purse Cambodia.

In the first week of August, on the same day my staff planned a going away lunch for me (as I as supposed to leave Cambodia on August 4), we received information that I was extended a third term until December 16! So my goodbye lunch turned into a celebratory lunch complete with traditional fried fish, steamed vegetables, beef lok lak, and many mounds of rice. However, I was allowed to go home for a family wedding. During that time, the Lord blessed me with many family laughs, visits with old friends/new friends, a trip to my old school town/church, and to beautiful Oregon. I left with a swollen and happy heart, thankful for my time at home but eager to return to my work and staff. When I got off the plane and smelled the warm Cambodian night air, drove through crowded neon lit streets with motos and tuk tuks, while my manager updated me on the latest news, I smiled, so SO thankful for this home away from home. 

Upon returning to the office, it was agreed that I would be moving to the northwestern border city in-between Cambodia and Thailand. This is where one of our main projects- The Migration Assistance Center is located.
In a nutshell: The goal of this office is to serve and assist Cambodian migrants who are returning from working in Thailand. Thai authorities bring truckloads of migrants to our receiving center where we give out water snacks, share about safe migration through a booklet/presentation, collect information through ipad surveys to notice migration patterns, and we seek to identify potential survivors/people vulnerable towards trafficking. With these individuals we complete a separate survey to judge how to best meet their needs, whether that’s through referring them to our medical or legal partners, helping them return home, providing them with a warm meal, etc. Most importantly, we want these individuals to know they are loved by an Almighty God who offers salvation, healing, and restoration to all. We recognize that every migrant who comes through our center is from God and with open hands we hope to share the gospel with them. Once they return home after a few days, we conduct follow up activities. It’s a dusty little office located in a market with cows walking by all the time, and amazing things happen here as we get to hear stories from migrants and get a small chance to pray God’s blessing and protection over them. 

The goal of moving to work closely with this project was to give me “living in the field experience,” more management experience, and to work closely with the data we collect at that office in lieu of new opportunities. A typical day looks like leaving for work at 7:30-7:45 (have to take into consideration how thick the mud is), and working in the “quieter” office until 12 noon. Usually we receive one truck in the morning around 8-8:30, and don’t receive more one until the afternoon. Then staff eat lunch together, and we have devotions after lunch. For devotions, we sit around the table and sing youtube worship songs in Khmer and English that play through a massive speaker, read a chapter from the bible together, discuss 4 main questions, share prayer requests and pray together. At least twice a week we have to stop and continue devotions later because a truck pulls up with migrants.  The amount of work done in the afternoon is dependent on how many trucks come through, on average we get one from 3-5, and then one from 7-9, totaling three trucks a day! I generally leave at 5, but the center is open until the Thai authorities bring the last truck, so some staff stay until 9 pm.  
When I come home, I spend 10 minutes (minimum) washing mud off my feet/legs, then playing hide and seek with the children who live below me around our fish pond, and then whatever else the evening holds for me! In my “village area” everyone generally turns in for the night from 7:30-8 pm, and start their day anywhere from 3:30-5 am. As a result, it is pretty quiet and peaceful! (Except for the roosters who crow literally ALL night…) This schedule has reminded me to slow down, to take advantage of the quiet. Something my dad calls my “Labrador personality,” does not always like to do.

As with most cross cultural living, I have had to redefine "how to live." For example: how do I buy my food, how do I drive to work, how/where do I exercise, how do I carry water jugs on my moto, how do I make friends, etc. All things that come naturally when we live in our home culture take a little bit of extra time to figure out, and may not even be possible! Two days ago I celebrated little wins, I successfully bought eggs from a market and got gas for my moto (don’t laugh). But God in his kindness has been so good to me and has provided everything I’ve needed through various means and individuals.

So that is a quick summary of my last few months and a glimpse into the next 2 and a half months! I plan on being busy implementing activities in three main areas in the office, conducting research/presenting my findings, and in general, adjusting and learning to live in a new city! Feel free to reach out if you any questions or want more information!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is soo awesome. Im soo happy that everything is goin soo smoothly for you and that god has given you all these opportunity to spread his word and help out... it just sounds like an amazing experience and i pray for your safety and that you able to continue your work in helping the people in need. Love you lots
Sarah bass

Grace Taylor Harmon said...

Thank you Sarah! I am so appreciative of your support and prayers!

Unknown said...

Nothing is impossible to a willing heart